With a mission to enlighten and empower, Spectacular Magazine has announced the African American women and/or women who have made a difference in the African American community that will be honored with the Spectacular Magazine Woman of the Year Awards.
The following three (3) women will receive the SPECTACULAR MAGAZINE 2017 WOMAN OF THE YEAR – LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. The award will be presented at the Spectacular Magazine 2017 Woman of the Year Awards Gala on Sept. 24, 2017; Reception: 2pm; Banquet: 3pm). Get your tickets now!
Coach Rena Armwood – Retired Softball/Volleyball Coach; 2017 NCCU Athletics Hall of Fame Inductee (Durham)
Mrs. Annie Jones-Clement – Community Leader/Change Agent; Retired Community Partner/Coordinator, Duke University (Atlanta)
Mrs. Rosetta Austin Moore – Author; Retired Educator ( Hillsborough)
Nominations were accepted in six categories. The Spectacular Magazine Woman of the Year Awards Selection Committee, based on a scoring system, selected the top three (3) Semi-Finalists in each of five (5) categories. (Due to an overwhelming amount of nominations in the sixth category, Education, six semi-finalists were selected and two will be named in that category. You can also vote for two in the Education category.)
The Finalists will be selected via this on-line voting process that runs Aug. 21 – Sept. 10. The Finalists will be named at the Spectacular Magazine Woman of the Year Awards Gala on Sept. 24, 2017.
Please vote only once per person. Any duplicate entries will be disqualified. Thanks for taking the time to complete our voting process and for your support of Spectacular Magazine!
Arts & Culture:
- Willa Brigham – Host, Smart Start Kids; Inspirational Speaker/Storyteller (Cary)
- Alicia Turner – Children’s Book Author (Durham)
- Anita Woodley – Independent Actress, Playwright, Producer (Chapel Hill)
Business & Economic Development:
- Del Mattioli – Financial Services Professional, Mattioli and Associates (Durham)
- Earnestine Lloyd-Battle – Small Business and Group Specialist, LegalShield (Rocky Mount)
- April Sherman – Audit Advisor, AICPA (Raleigh)
- Evelyn Coleman-Dove – Counselor, PathChoice, Inc. (Raleigh)
- Alicia Grant – Founder, Joyful Connections Corporation Inc. (Durham)
- Cheryl Parquet – Senior Program Manager, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Durham)
- Jessica Boone – Teacher, KIPP Gaston College Preparatory (Roanoke Rapids)
- NaShonda Cooke – Teacher, Durham Public Schools (Durham)
- Gretta Dula – Principal, Ligon GT Magnet Middle School (Raleigh)
- Yolanda Keith – Program Director (Carolina College Advising Corps); Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions, UNC-CH (Chapel Hill)
- Monica Leach – Sr. Associate Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management & Academic Affairs, NC Central University (Durham)
- Brenda Stephens – Member, Orange County Board of Education (Orange County)
- Jacquail Green – Community Volunteer; Administrative Intern, Wake County Public Schools (Raleigh)
- Deirdre Johnson – Head Athletic Trainer/W.I.S.E. Advisor/Health, P.E. Dept Chair, Sanderson High School (Raleigh)
- Kimberly Monroe – Researcher, National Park Service (Washington, DC)
- Glenda Clare, PhD – Behavioral Health Management Consultant, G. Portlynn Clare & Associates, LLC (Durham)
- Sandra Dubose – Ambassador, American Autoimmune Disease Related Association; /Owner, Dubose Entertainment (Raleigh)
- Nicole Swiner, M.D. – Family Medicine/General Medicine Physician, Durham Family Medicine (Durham)